Thursday, November 03, 2005

Major milestone!

/
I changed all my strings on my guitar for the first time tonight. It took me an hour and a half, but I did it. The hardest part was wrapping the strings around the pegs in the right direction…the string has to wrap over the string end the first time, and under for all subsequent wraps. For some reason, this was really difficult for me (I’m pretty sure I’m spatially challenged, even though I score above average on that dimension of IQ tests). I kept ending up with the strings wrapped in the wrong direction, ie wrapping from the outside in, if that makes sense. I don’t know why. The more I tried to understand the problem, the more incomprehensible it seemed. So finally I stopped trying to understand, and just kept doing it (and often undoing and re-doing it) until it was right. I figure at some unconscious level maybe I will figure it out, but thinking about it wasn’t helping! Anyway…it’s done, I’m happy, and now I can reward myself by opening up my new shipment of songbooks from amazon.ca.

Now that I think about it, my guitar stringing problem has certain things in common with my knitting problems.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home